Rivercity Pilates is excited to be able to offer our clients massage therapy in our beautiful on site massage room! Clients can use our online scheduling system or call the studio to request a time that fits their schedule.
Sara has a Bachelors of Science degree in Biology and is licensed massage therapist. She spent 18 years working in biomedical research at the University of Iowa. During that time, she developed an interest in muscular pain and enrolled in East-West School of Integrated Healing Arts. After graduation from East-West’s 1000 hour massage therapy program, Sara went on to be trained and certified in Neural Reset Therapy® and is a Certified Lymphedema Therapist.
Sara specializes in using massage for pain reduction and elimination, and for decrease in edema. Whether you have acute or chronic pain, Sara uses different tools and techniques to get to the root of the problem. Sara offers: Neural Reset Therapy®, Manual Lymphatic Drainage, Compression Therapy, Trigger Point Therapy, Deep Tissue Massage, Swedish Massage, Relaxation Massage, Sports Massage, Hot Stone, and Prenatal Massage. Sara focuses on what you have going on. Whether swelling or pain, she can help: with a recent or old injury, increasing range of motion, wound/ulceration healing, lymphedema, lipedema, swelling due to venous insufficiency, post-surgical swelling, swelling from an ankle sprain, a joint replacement, throwing your back out, migraines, tennis or golfer’s elbow, chronic neck or back pain, poor posture, small aches and pains, plantar fasciitis, or even just sleeping on your neck wrong. Sara works with healthcare providers to offer a great compliment to Western medicine.
If you are a new client, Sara highly recommends scheduling a 90 minute session your first time. This will allow Sara plenty of time to get to know you and your body.
- 60 minutes $75
- 90 minutes $110
Massage Therapy Packages are more cost effective when purchasing Massage or Neural Reset Therapy for some conditions or rehabilitation.
Neural Reset Therapy®
Is something hurting in your body? Massage Therapist Sara Sea has been seeing miraculous results in helping people get out of pain using Neural Reset Therapy®! NRT is cutting edge therapy that uses your nervous system to relax your muscles back to their optimum tone. Most of this work is done with gentle, active, pain-free motion by the client while Sara applies stimulus to different muscles or muscle groups. NRT compliments western medicine and chiropractic care.
Neural Reset Therapy® can be great for:
- Neck, shoulder, and lower back pain
- Muscle spasms
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- TMJ Syndrome
- Tennis & Golf Elbow
- Sciatic Pain
- Trigger point pain …..And more!!
Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) and Compression Therapy
Sara is a Certified Lymphedema Therapist (CLT). Sara chose her specialized training from 1 of only 6 programs recognized by the Lymphology Association of North America and the National Lymphedema Network. This certification requires continuing education in lymphatics every 4 years, keeping members up to date with the current standards of care.
Manual Lymphatic Drainage massage (MLD) is a very gentle therapy that helps stimulate your lymphatic system to pick up and move fluid and excess interstitial protein. This therapy feels very light because the lymph vessels manipulated are tiny and just under the surface of the skin. It does not push on your skin to get through to your muscles like a standard massage. MLD increase fluid movement by 30%. Most people who have swelling issues start with this type of therapy to see if it can assist in getting the swelling under control. Sara is trained to educate clients on self-care, helping them to maintain their goals on their own.
Compression Therapy increases fluid movement by over 63% and helps to get the excess protein out of the interstitial spaces. This therapy uses specialized bandages called short stretch bandages to wrap the affected limb/area. Another term for this type of compression is called inelastic compression. Once the limb is wrapped, bandages are kept on for 48-72hours and then reapplied. This continues until the desired amount of swelling reduction is reached. For lymphedema and lipedema cases, this helps reduce limb size so a compression garment can be applied to maintain it. For post-surgical swelling, compression helps get volume down fast so that wound healing is uninterrupted and physical therapy is not impeded by swelling. For venous insufficiency, compression helps move the overload of extra-cellular protein out so that limb size is more easily maintained. Session prices for compression include all the bandaging material. These materials are reusable so wash, lay flat to dry, and hang on to them!
MLD or compression work for all sorts of swelling issues. Here are just a few-
- Lymphedema*: (primary or secondary): reduce swelling in limbs that had the lymphatic system compromised by lymph node removal or simply by your genetic disposition.
- Lipedema*: reduced swelling by moving what has been trapped in the lymphatic vessels. Usually compression works best for this. Therapy continues until swelling decreases enough to be maintained by compression garments
- Venous Insufficiency*: helps reduce swelling and decrease the interstitial protein load that causes it.
- Wound Healing: reducing swelling around a pesky wound (including diabetic ulcers) that just won’t heal. This can be the turning point to recovery.
- Post-Surgical or Injury Swelling*: reduction of swelling around incision sight and helps to quickly reduce bruising.
- Post-Joint Replacement Swelling: helps swelling to decrease sooner so you can immediately make better use of your physical therapy, getting range of motion back sooner.
- Arthritis: reduces swelling in the area and helps to remove toxins (a build-up of extracellular, metabolic waste) in the affected joint.
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Fibromyalgia: The detoxifying properties of this kind of therapy can off pain relief to even some of the more tender muscles and joints.
- Holistic Health: Some people call this a detox massage. MLD helps your body to move fluid, excess interstitial protein, extracellular waste; flushing out the garbage and keeping your body running at its best.
*Standard procedure for swollen limbs is to measure limb volume before and after treatment. This data can be available to your healthcare team.
“The results were, truthfully, Amazing! At the end of the session, I honestly could not feel the injury at all. My range of motion was normal and painless. It was, frankly, freaky… but great!” ~Kimberly
New 30 minute Foot Refresh!
Enjoy 30 minutes devoted solely to your feet! Start with Neural Reset Therapy® to ease muscle tightness and painful areas. NRT® is followed by the incredible power of the Theragun. This unique massage tool vibrates your senses creating a massive flow of circulation to an area that is underserved. Finally, melt into a peppermint-jojoba oil massage, leaving your feet feeling rejuvenated. This session is great for people with plantar fasciitis, heal pain, or just tired worn-out feet! Happy Feet are the foundation to pain-free movement!